AN EYE EXAMINATION AT SKOWRON EYECARE
We've invested in the latest technology to make exam findings easier and more accurate for everyone from toddlers to seniors, often without the inconvenience of dilation. We have gone to great lengths to be able to fully examine those patients that are either too young or too old to respond.
Over the past fifteen years, in three separate reviews by a leading consumer magazine, we were rated one of the best in Chicagoland with a consistant overall patient satisfaction rating of over 90%.
A Thorough Case History is taken
Medications and systemic conditions such as allergies can affect the vision. Your current glasses or contact prescription is verified by computer analysis. But most of all, we listen and will address all your concerns. Many condtions are diagnosed simply by taking a thorough case history.
Autorefractor and tonomety
Computerized Auto Refractor
This technology gives us the power to provide the most accurate prescription possible by taking thousands of measurements in just a few seconds. This almost eliminates the need to ask you to distinguish the clarity between two lenses when refining your final prescription, thus reducing the anxiety so often associated when taking an eye examination. This instrument is very beneficial for perfoming a pediatric eye examination, when toddlers are either too young or too shy to give a reliable respose. An improper prescription can cause headaches, eyestrain and poor school performance.
Tonometry "Glaucoma Test"
We have several different methods to determine the pressure in your eye without the conventional "air puff". And for those who don't like anything close to their eyes, we have a newer, softer puff test. High eye pressure can lead to glaucoma, which can lead to permanent vision loss.
Testing color vision
- Color Vision -- If there is a congenital color deficiency, we will advise accordingly. Acquired color deficiency means that there may be damage or swelling to the optic nerve.
- Muscle Imbalance -- Improper eye positioning may also be the cause of headaches and poor reading skills, which is so important with our kids and learning.
- Peripheral Vision -- Peripheral or side vision is measured. Neurologic disorders can reveal themselves here.
- Depth Perception -- This evaluation tells us how the eyes are working together, again very important with children. Poor depth perception may be the cause for poor hand-eye coordination and poor reading skills.
- Blood Pressure -- Often, hypertensive eye changes can occur before any other symptoms are noticed. For more information, click here for "Other Conditions."
Assessing muscle alignment and depth perception.
Wave Front Corneal Topographer (Contact Lens Exam only)
By taking over a 1000 readings on the cornea, Wavefront topography gives us the advantage of designing the most comfortable, safest contact lens possible. And most importantly, it provides unparalelled accuracy when predicting LASIK outcomes. Note the vertical red "bow tie" on the corneal topography on the right demonstrating two separate curves, revealing an astigmatism.
The auto refractor reduces the stress and the time needed to determine a final prescription.
The doctor verifies the readings of the autorefractor and makes any necessary final adjustments to come up with the most accurate prescription for your glasses and / or contact lenses.
Focus and Eye Movement
The doctor will assess the focusing and eye-tracking ability, which is especially important with children. Poor tracking and focusing can cause of poor school performance.
We have the means to video tape
the eye with the slit lamp
Slit Lamp and Retinal Examination
This instrument is a high powred microscope that evaluates the structures around, inside, and in the back of the eye. Depending on the circumstances, the doctor may wish to dilate the eye or perform a wide field Optos Scan of the back of the eye, the retina.
This procedure more specifically checks for:
- Corneal degeneration or injury
- Blepharitis (dandruff on the eyelashes)
- Blocked tear ducts
- Dry eye evaluation (tear assessment)
- Pupil anomalies
- Macular degeneration
- Optic nerve health
- General retinal health
Dilation is performed when indicated. But because of our committment in providing you with the latest diagnostic equipment, it is performed less frequently. If we feel dilation is needed to better assess your eye health, you will have the option to reschedule, as we know that dilation can be an inconvenience for some patients.
Finally, Doctor Assessment and Recommendations
Doctors will thoroughly explain their exam findings with visuals
so you have a better understanding of their recommendations
SAME DAY EMERGENCY APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE
- Pink eye
- Spots or light flashes in the eye
- Loss of vision
- Eye injuries
- Foreign body removal
DIAGNOSE, TREAT and/or MANAGE MOST EYE DISEASES
- Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- Dry Eye
- Excessive tearing
- Macular degeneration
- Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Prism prescriptions
- Corneal ulcers
STATE-OF-THE-ART DIAGNOSTIC TECHNOLOGY
Accurate diagnosis and management of macular problems, retinal tears and detachments, glaucoma, cataracts and more! And all of the following tests can be performed without dilation.
1. OCT (Cirrus 5000 Optical Coherence Tomography)
This technology gives an in depth look on both the surface and beneath the optic nerve and macula by taking 40,000 scans per second. This instrument is essential in the care of glaucoma and macula degeneration and enables us to dectect the earliest changes so treatment can be implemented or altered accordingly.
The OCT takes 40,000 scans per second to assess macula degeneration.
OCT print out of a macula hole
2. Optos Wide Field Retinal Scanner
This is the first technology of its kind to give an unprecedented 220 degree view of the back of the eye without dilation!. Not only does it help with the diagnosis and management of glaucoma, macular diseases, and neurological brain condiditons, but it is extremely helpful in evaluating and diagnosing retinal tears and detachments which are associated with the symptoms of light flashes and floaters. This technology has become the workhorse in our office. It's assistance in accurate and timely diagnosis is indispensable.
Optos is the latest retinal scanning technology
The Optos has increased the undilated view of the eye from 45 degrees to 220 degrees
3. Kowa Digital Retinal Photography
- This High-resolution camera takes a 45 degree picture of the back of the eye, giving us a different perspective than the Optos, also enabling accurate diagnosis and documentation of the following:
- Swollen optic nerve, sometimes due to a brain tumor
- Macular degeneration
- Retinal changes or bleeding from diabetes, high blood pressure, blocked arteries, and more.
4. Zeiss Humphrey Full Threshold Perimeter
Latest Visual Field technology only takes a couple of minutes per eye to assess for neuro disease and glaucoma
- This instrument is the gold standard in diagnosing and treating glaucoma. It is used to detect and follow subtle macular changes from age and from medications such as Plaquenil, which is used as a treatment for a myriad of auto immune diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. It is also crucial in the work up for neurological disorders, such as brain tumors.
5. Adapt Dx by Maculogix
The Adapt Dx is the first instrument that can diagnose macula degeneration.
- This is our newest addition in technology as we wanted to wait until the research supported its use and validity. This is the only instrument available that can clinically diagnose macular degeneration three yrs before any clinical findings appear. Early detection is critical in addressing this devastaing disease. Special AREDS Vitamins and a change in lifestyle are essential in treating the "dry" form of macular degeneration, while anti-veg injection treatments are used to tackle the "wet" form. From all the research, without question, the number one factor that causes macular degeneration to progress, is to continue to smoke. We highly recommend getting a baseline evaluation if you are over 50, a past smoker, a family history of AMD, overweight or have heart disease. The test is painless and takes about 15 minutes.
Normal macula & optic nerve
Cataract (blurred view)
Glaucoma (large white center in optic nerve)
Swollen optic nerve (possible tumor)
Blood pressure 260/160 (bleeding)
LASER VISION CONSULTANTS
- Comprehensive preoperative and postoperative laser evaluations ensure that you are a good candidate for laser vision correction (LASIK). We have evaluated THOUSANDS of cases.
- For various reasons, we advise approximately 20% of patients interested in LASIK to not have the procedure because they are not good candidates.
- Poor laser vision results most commonly occur in those patients who were poor candidates in the first place.
We can polish RGP lenses while you wait
Expert insertion / removal contact lens instructions
- 40 years of experience and technology has enabled us successfully fit the most difficult cases
- All types of contacts, many priced at or below Internet prices
- Over 10,000 in stock enables same day service on most prescriptions
- Monthly / Daily disposables
- Toric lenses...for astigmatism
- Rigid gas permeable lenses
- Keratoconus fittings
- Synergyes...RGP center lens for clear vision and soft lens edges for comfortable wear
- Scleral lenses...new technology allowing contact lens wear for dry eyes
- Corneal transplant fittings
We provide on-the-spot polishing and adjusting of gas permeable lenses.
Eye exercise programs for children are designed to treat AMBLYOPIA (lazy eye), focusing difficulties, poor eye coordination, and muscle imbalances. These conditions can all lead to headaches, eye strain, and poor reading and learning skills. We have programs and equipment designed for home use to ease any financial burden. Early detection before the the age of five is so important in treating these conditions. Treatment for amblyopia should begin before age three. That why we recommend a child's first eye exam by at least two or three years of age.
- The large modern dispensary has over 1500 affordably priced frames from which to choose.
- We will gladly special order any frame of your liking.
- Experience staff (over 125 combined years) helps you choose the right styles and lens options, SPECIFICALLY FOR YOU!
- Kids Package: Complete Frame and Lenses with the highest quality No glare for $199, with full warranty
- We have an absolute, no questions asked, 1-year warranty on all glasses.
- Prescription and nonprescription eyewear are available.
- SATISFACTION IS GUARANTEED!
- The on-site lab offers immediate service if needed.
- On-the-spot repairs can be made.
- Loaner frames are available.
- Unlimited adjustments on eyewear purchased at Skowron Eyecare
- No charge on any additional visits if adjustments need to be made to the prescription
A note on quality:
- Today's optical industry offers different levels of quality thus exposing the public to a large variety of prices
- Frames are often sold as discontinued so replacement parts are not available
- Often there is no warranty on frames and lenses
- Spring hinges on a higher quality frame will maintain its tension
- Higher quality frames will keep their shape, and not loosen the face
- Lens optics have a large range of quality.Quality from China and Indonesia are questionable
- We only prescribe and provide lenses that have the best, clearest optics
- There is a big difference in quality with no glare or anti-glare applications
- The best non-glare applications don't smudge, scratch, and stay clean.
Thanks for viewing our frame gallery. We would be honored to care for you and your family.