AN EYE EXAMINATION AT SKOWRON EYECARE
We've invested in the technology to make exam findings easier and more accurate for everyone from toddlers to seniors.
In 3 separate reviews by a leading consumer magazine over the past 15 years, we were rated one of the best in Chicagoland with a consistant overall patient satisfaction rating of over 90%.
Thorough Case History
Medications and systemic conditions such as allergies can affect the vision. Your current glasses or contact prescription is verified by computer analysis.
Autorefractor and tonomety
Computerized Auto Refractor
This technology automatically determines your glasses prescription,and let's the doctor get to your final prescription much quicker without asking "Which is better, one or two?" over and over. This is especially helpful for small children and elderly patients.
This is the latest in the "puff" test to measure the pressure inside the eye for glaucoma. This puff is much softer than previous versions. However, we have two other different "non-puff" methods to measure the pressure for those sensative eyes.
Testing color vision
- Color Vision -- If there is a congenital color deficiency, we will advise accordingly. Acquired color deficiency means that there may be damage or swelling to the optic nerve.
- Muscle Imbalance -- Proper eye positioning may also be the cause of headaches and poor reading skills.
- Peripheral Vision -- Peripheral or side vision is measured.
- Depth Perception -- This evaluation gives us an indication if the eyes are working together.
- Blood Pressure -- Hypertension can show up in the eye (For more information, click here for "Other Conditions.")
Assessing muscle alignment and depth perception.
Corneal Topography (Contact Lens Exam only)
Corneal topography performed on a contact lens patient who has an astigmatism. Note the vertical red "bow tie" on the corneal map on the rightindicating 2 separate curves. The topographer accurately measures the amount of astigmatism, aiding the doctor in fitting a very comfortable toric contact lens that provides clear, crisp vision like never before.
Our technology allows us to
double and triple check the prescription
The doctor verifies the readings of the autorefractor and makes any necessary adjustments to come up with a final, accurate prescription of your glasses and/or contact lenses.
Focus and Eye Movement
The doctor will assess the focusing and eye-tracking ability, which is especially important with children. Poor tracking and focusing can cause of poor school performance.
We have the technology to video tape
the eye with the slit lamp
Bio-Microscope Examination (Slit Lamp)
The doctor takes a high powered magnifying lens and evaluates the structures around, inside, and in the back of the eye. Depending on the circumstances, the doctor may wish to dilate the eye then or at a later, more convenient time.
This procedure more specifically checks for:
- Corneal degeneration or injury
- Blepharitis (dandruff on the eyelashes)
- Blocked tear ducts
- Dry eye evaluation (tear assessment)
- Pupil anomalies
- Macular degeneration
- Optic nerve health
- General retinal health
Finally, Doctor Assessment and Recommendations
Doctors will thoroughly explain their exam findings with visuals
so you have a better understanding of their recommendations
SAME DAY EMERGENCY APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE
- Pink eye
- Spots or light flashes in the eye
- Loss of vision
- Eye injuries
DIAGNOSE, TREAT and/or MANAGE MOST EYE DISEASES
- Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- Macular degeneration
- Amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Prism prescriptions
- Foreign body removal
- Corneal ulcers
Diagnosis and management of macular problems, retinal tears and detachments, glaucoma, cataracts and more!
1. OCT (Optical Coherence Tomography)
This instrument actually splits and allows us to see the individual layers beneath the optic nerve and macula.
The OCT takes 40,000 scans per second to assess macula degeneration.
OCT print out of a macula hole
2. Zeiss Humphrey Full Threshold Perimeter
This instrument is the gold standard in diagnosing and following glaucoma. It is also useful to monitor and detect subtle macular changes from age and from certain medications used for rheumatoid arthritis, such as Plaquenil.
Latest Visual Field technology only takes a couple of minutes per eye
The Visual Field showing loss of vision on
the right side confirmed the patient
had a stroke
3. Digital Retinal Photography
- High-resolution camera enables accurate diagnosis and documentation of many eye conditions.
- Digital properties allow us to use several filters to aid in the diagnosis of some of the following conditions:
- Swollen optic nerve
- Macular pathologies (macular degeneration, macular hole, macular edema...)
- Very subtle bleeding in the back of the eye (retina) from diabetes, high blood pressure, blocked arteries...
Normal macula & optic nerve
Cataract (blurred view)
Glaucoma (large white center in optic nerve)
Swollen optic nerve (possible tumor)
Blood pressure 260/160 (bleeding)
LASER VISION CONSULTANTS
- Comprehensive preoperative and postoperative laser evaluations ensure that you are a good candidate for laser vision correction (LASIK). We have evaluated THOUSANDS of cases.
- For various reasons, we advise approximately 20% of patients interested in LASIK to not have the procedure because they are not good candidates.
- Poor laser vision results most commonly occur in those patients who were poor candidates.
We can polish RGP lenses while you wait
Expert insertion / removal contact lens instructions
- Experience and technology to provide the most accurate contact lens fit possible
- All types of contacts, many priced at or below Internet prices
- Over 7,500 in stock enables same day service on most prescriptions
- Soft disposables
- Tinted lenses
- Toric lenses (for astigmatism)
- Rigid gas permeable lenses
- Keratoconus fittings
- Corneal transplant fittings
We provide on-the-spot polishing and/or adjusting of gas permeable lenses.
Eye exercise programs for children are designed to treat AMBLYOPIA (lazy eye), focusing difficulties, poor eye coordination, and muscle imbalances. These conditions can all lead to headaches, eye strain, and poor reading and learning skills. We have programs and equipment designed for home use to ease any financial burden.
- The large modern dispensary has over 1500 affordably priced frames from which to choose.
- We will gladly special order any frame of your liking.
- Experience staff (over 125 combined years) helps you choose the right styles and lens options, SPECIFICALLY FOR YOU!
- Kids Package: Complete Frame and Lenses with the highest quality No glare for $199, with full warranty
- We have an absolute, no questions asked, 1-year warranty on all glasses.
- Prescription and nonprescription eyewear are available.
- SATISFACTION IS GUARANTEED!
- The on-site lab offers immediate service if needed.
- On-the-spot repairs can be made.
- Loaner frames are available.
- Unlimited adjustments on eyewear purchased at Skowron Eyecare
- No charge on any additional visits if adjustments need to be made to the prescription
A note on quality:
- Today's optical industry offers different levels of quality thus exposing the public to a large variety of prices
- Frames are often sold as discontinued so replacement parts are not available
- Often there is no warranty on frames and lenses
- Spring hinges on a higher quality frame will maintain its tension
- Higher quality frames will keep their shape, and not loosen the face
- Lens optics have a large range of quality.Quality from China and Indonesia are questionable
- We only prescribe and provide lenses that have the best, clearest optics
- There is a big difference in quality with no glare or anti-glare applications
- The best non-glare applications don't smudge, scratch, and stay clean.
Having trouble seeing yourself in new glasses?
Choosing new glasses can often be a struggle because patients cannot see themselves in the mirror when they take off their own prescription glasses to try on a new frame. We have the newest technology that solves that problem! Stop in anytime to browse our large frame selection, and one of our opticians can help you by taking your photo in several different frames and doing a side by side comparison right on the computer screen.
Thanks for viewing our frame gallery. We would be honored to care for you and your family.