Posts for tag: Eye Conditions
Many types of eye conditions can adversely affect vision, making it difficult to see clearly. Some eye conditions can occur at any age, while others are associated with the aging process. If you have an eye condition, it is important to receive proper eye care. In Elmhurst, IL, eye care for many different types of vision conditions is available at Skowron Eye Care, where our highly skilled optometrists monitor eye health and treat specific eye conditions.
Types of Vision Conditions
There are many different types of eye conditions that can affect vision. Some common vision conditions include:
- Myopia — Also called nearsightedness, myopia is a condition associated with objects close up are seen clearly while those at a distance usually appear blurry.
- Hyperopia — Also called farsightedness, hyperopia is a condition in which far vision tends to be more clear than close vision.
- Astigmatism — A condition in which the eye focuses light at two different points rather than one. Far and near vision can both be blurred.
- Presbyopia — A condition associated with aging. The lens in the eye gradually loses elasticity, which makes it difficult to focus clearly on objects at close distances. Individuals with presbyopia tend to need reading glasses.
- Cataracts — A condition that commonly occurs with aging and is caused by a clouding of the lens of the eye, which can affect vision.
- Glaucoma — A condition associated with increased pressure within the eye, which restricts nutrient flow to the optic nerve and can lead to blindness
- Macular Degeneration — A condition in which the central focal point on the retina is damaged, which results in distorted or blurred vision. Patients with this condition might also see a dark area in the center of their field of vision.
Treatment and Care
We treat all types of vision conditions and provide general eye care at our Elmhurst, IL, optometry practice. The treatment needed depends on the type of eye condition affecting the patient. Our experienced optometrists can recommend the right treatment for your specific eye condition and also provide guidance on how to properly care for your eyes on a daily basis.
One of the best ways you can care for your eyes is to schedule regular eye exams. This is especially important for patients over the age of 40 since many eye conditions develop with aging. Regular eye exams allow the optometrist to monitor the health of your eyes and detect new vision conditions soon after they develop. Treating eye conditions promptly could help prevent them from becoming worse.
Proper eye care begins with seeing an optometrist for an accurate diagnosis of your particular eye condition. Once the condition is properly diagnosed, an individualized treatment plan can be developed for you. To schedule an appointment with one of our optometrists for vision issues and general eye care, call Skowron Eye Care in Elmhurst, IL, at (630) 984-6850.