Posts for: December, 2016
Over 40 million people in the United States wear contact lenses, according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). When the CDC partnered with the group Contact Lens Assessment in Youth (CLAY) to conduct a survey on the eye care habits of a group of contact lenses users, they found surprising (and alarming) results. Nearly all of the participants (over 99%) admitted to engaging in poor contact lenses hygiene, therefore increasing their risk of developing infections and other eye problems by as much as five times or more than normal.
In addition to regular eye exams and check ups, the optometrists at Skowron Eye Care in Elmhurst, IL advise people who wear contact lenses to follow a few basic hygiene precautions to keep their lenses - and eyes - bacteria and infection free.
Contact Lenses and Eye Care in Elmhurst, IL
From redness and mild irritation to painful infections, most people who wear contact lenses will experience an issue at some point. But taking a few simple precautions and preventive steps can drastically reduce the risk of contaminating contact lenses and solution with dirt, bacteria and other irritants.
How to Care for Your Contact Lenses
The majority of respondents (over 80%) in the CDC and CLAY study admitted to leaving their contact lenses in for longer than recommended. To avoid dry eyes, sticking and irritation, follow the guidelines and change lenses as recommended.
- Remove your contact lenses to sleep - over 50% of the study participants admitted to breaking this simple rule
- Always discard old solution and replace with a fresh batch (do not mix the two)
- Always wash and dry hands with soap and warm water before removing and handling contacts
- Clean contacts before and after each use
- Make sure to also clean the lenses case with solution and replace cases often (typically every three months)
Find an Optometrist in Elmhurst, IL
For more information on how to care for your contact lenses and avoid eye infections and potential vision problems, contact Skowron Eye Care by calling (630) 834-6244 to schedule an appointment for a comprehensive eye exam today.