Posts for: December, 2021
Many types of eye conditions can adversely affect vision, making it difficult to see clearly. Some eye conditions can occur at any age, while others are associated with the aging process. If you have an eye condition, it is important to receive proper eye care. In Elmhurst, IL, eye care for many different types of vision conditions is available at Skowron Eye Care, where our highly skilled optometrists monitor eye health and treat specific eye conditions.
Types of Vision Conditions
There are many different types of eye conditions that can affect vision. Some common vision conditions include:
- Myopia — Also called nearsightedness, myopia is a condition associated with objects close up are seen clearly while those at a distance usually appear blurry.
- Hyperopia — Also called farsightedness, hyperopia is a condition in which far vision tends to be more clear than close vision.
- Astigmatism — A condition in which the eye focuses light at two different points rather than one. Far and near vision can both be blurred.
- Presbyopia — A condition associated with aging. The lens in the eye gradually loses elasticity, which makes it difficult to focus clearly on objects at close distances. Individuals with presbyopia tend to need reading glasses.
- Cataracts — A condition that commonly occurs with aging and is caused by a clouding of the lens of the eye, which can affect vision.
- Glaucoma — A condition associated with increased pressure within the eye, which restricts nutrient flow to the optic nerve and can lead to blindness
- Macular Degeneration — A condition in which the central focal point on the retina is damaged, which results in distorted or blurred vision. Patients with this condition might also see a dark area in the center of their field of vision.
Treatment and Care
We treat all types of vision conditions and provide general eye care at our Elmhurst, IL, optometry practice. The treatment needed depends on the type of eye condition affecting the patient. Our experienced optometrists can recommend the right treatment for your specific eye condition and also provide guidance on how to properly care for your eyes on a daily basis.
One of the best ways you can care for your eyes is to schedule regular eye exams. This is especially important for patients over the age of 40 since many eye conditions develop with aging. Regular eye exams allow the optometrist to monitor the health of your eyes and detect new vision conditions soon after they develop. Treating eye conditions promptly could help prevent them from becoming worse.
Proper eye care begins with seeing an optometrist for an accurate diagnosis of your particular eye condition. Once the condition is properly diagnosed, an individualized treatment plan can be developed for you. To schedule an appointment with one of our optometrists for vision issues and general eye care, call Skowron Eye Care in Elmhurst, IL, at (630) 984-6850.
Is it time you made the switch from glasses to contacts?
Around 45 million Americans wear contacts, according to the CDC. Perhaps you’re still wearing glasses but you’re considering whether to trade in your specs for contact lenses. While contacts lenses are beneficial for several reasons, our Elmhurst, IL, optometrists need to examine your eyes to determine if you could be a good candidate. So, what makes someone a good candidate for contacts? Here are some factors to consider,
Your Eye Problem
Before getting contact lenses, our Elmhurst, IL, optometrists will need to examine your eyes to determine exact visual acuity and refraction errors. This exam will also check for any eye diseases. From there we will determine if you are nearsighted (trouble seeing objects at a distance) or farsighted (trouble seeing objects up close), or if you have astigmatism. From there we can determine the right type of contact lenses to correct these issues. We also offer multifocal contact lenses that can help patients in Elmhurst, IL, see both up close and far away.
Your Activities and Lifestyle
Your lifestyle can also determine whether contact lenses are right for you. Many people who wear glasses think of making a switch because they want the freedom of doing what they want without having to worry about their glasses. For example, you may be an athlete or simply an active individual and your glasses may get in the way of your HIIT workout or downward dog. If so, contact lenses can give you a little more freedom and a lot less hindrance.
Upkeep and Care
People need to understand how to properly care for their contact lenses so they can decide if this is something they want to do. After all, you will need to clean your contacts every day to prevent bacteria from building up. You will also want to replace your contact lenses with new ones at the recommended schedule. For example, you may have daily, weekly or monthly contacts, which means that they need to be replaced daily, weekly or monthly. To reduce your risk for injury or infection, you’ll want to replace contacts at the recommended time.
If you are interested in getting contact lenses here in Elmhurst, IL, turn to the team that was named the “Best Eye Doctor” in 2020 by Suburban Life. Call Skowron Eyecare at (630) 984-6850 to schedule a consultation.